II. Naming PolicyThe naming policy defines the rules that govern the choice of the name of your character when it is created. It is established by the support team under the direction of its manager.
When creating your character, in the final phase you will have to choose a name for him/her. It is advisable to take inspiration from the the Lore to have a character that adheres better to the universe of Atys. If you have no ideas or the names you choose are already taken, you can use the random name generator available in this step. Nonetheless, a name less roleplay but in accordance with the charter below will be accepted.
At any time, a Support Team Member can contact you and ask you to choose another name if it does not comply with the rules below.
You can request a name change from a Support Member for reasons such as roleplay, wish to abandon a name that is attracting other players' mockery, anonymity... (this list is not exhaustive). Your request must be reasoned and will be validated by the Support Team.
The maximum number of pseudonym changes will depend on the type of your account:
- Free to Play account: 1 allowed name change for each character.
- Premium account: 1 change of name allowed every six months for each character.
Naming Policy and penalties for violations
N.B. If a player creates multiple characters with names that violate the naming policy in the "Very offensive names" section below, they may be subject to the sanctions provided in the Code of Conduct.
1. Very offensive names
The character is immediately renamed with a default name and an email is sent to the player to inform them of the name change.
- You may not use coarse, racially or ethnically offensive, obscene, sexual, or drug culture words or phrases as names. You may not use spelling to conceal the use of such names. Your name may not refer to sexual anatomy, nor be an abusive phrase. This prohibition covers any language used in the game.
- You may not use a name chosen to harm, in any way, or impersonate another player, including Winch Gate Property Limited Employees or a Ryzom Team volunteers.
2. Offensive names
The character is renamed with 24h of delay to allow time for the the player to propose a new name. This for characters created after the publication of the present Naming Policy.
- You may not use names that are phonetically offensive or would go against the Naming Policy.
- You may not use names of religious, occult or significant historic origin (e.g.: Jesus, Lucifer, Nosferatu)
- You may not use names containing titles such as: Master, King, Queen, Lord, Sir, Mother, God... (this list is not exhaustive).
3. Forbidden names:
The character is renamed with 3 days of delay to allow time for the the player to propose a new name. This for characters created after the publication of the present Naming Policy.
- You may not use names that are copyrighted, trademarks or names of materials or products (e.g.: Fujitsu, Whiskey, Tylenol, Toshiba).
- You may not use names of famous people, politicians and popular fictional characters (e.g.: Angelina Jolie, Donald Trump, James Bond.).
- You may not use proper nouns of Ryzom (e.g.: Jena, Tryton, Yrkanis, Mabreka).
- You may not use a name which is the reverse spelling of a name in contradiction with the Naming Policy (e.g.: Anej, Notyrt, Sinakry, etc.).
- You may not use easily recognized names that come from another universe such as medieval fantasy or science fiction or others, either fictional or non-fictional, even if hidden by a slightly different spelling (e.g.: Skywolker, Gondalf, Flintstains, Obywan) .
- You may not use common words or phrases not pertaining to the Ryzom universe, as names (e.g.: cell phone, microwave, truck).
Characteristics of Guild Names
For the most part, guild names must comply with all the rules of names and are subject to the same rules as character names in terms of renaming, depending on whether the elements that make up the name of the guild are very offensive, offensive or just forbidden.
There are, however, several exceptions:
- The name of a guild can use the proper noun of places on Atys in order to facilitate the role play (e.g.: The Protectors of Fairhaven).
- The name of a guild can have in its title, for roleplay purposes, the name of a character of the Lore if the whole does not break any point of the Naming Policy and is consistent with the Lore. So, "The children of Elias", "The disciples of Mabreka" conform to the charter of names, but "The Jar of Tryton" does not.
The animals belonging to player's character (mount, packers, zigs) must be named according to the Naming Policy, except the one related to the proper names of Ryzom. These animals are subject to the same rules as character names in terms of renaming, depending on whether the elements that make up the name of the animal are very offensive, offensive or simply forbidden.
If you think that a player's name is inappropriate, disturbing, or incompatible with the game, you can report it to us by ticket or directly in game by contacting a member of the Support Team (the list of CSRs in-game at the moment is displayed under the SYSTEM INFO tab of the chat window when you type /who gm).
If you want to challenge a rename request (any abuse will be sanctioned), you can contact the head of support via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any request will be studied very carefully, any abuse will be recorded on the player’s profile and, if necessary, sanctioned.